This Director will focus on electrical engineering R&D specifically within the Insulin Pump, Continuous Glucose Monitoring, and Peripheral Communication hardware while serving as the functional and project leader who will drive technical excellence in engineering research, technology development, and product development. The job requires strong leadership and analytical skills combined with a solid understanding of product development and cross-functional collaboration.
Director will lead a team of engineers and support staff. The Director and Team are responsible for researching, designing, developing, and testing electrical components, equipment, systems, networks and products. Additionally the Director will build an organization and team to handle the ever changing and dynamic environment within the Type 1 Diabetes medical device space.
• Creates an organization to meet near term goals and objectives while balancing long term strategic needs. Able to institute change and prepare an organization for the future.
• Champions and implements process improvements towards product development effectiveness by promoting the use of predictive analysis tools, effective design reviews, rapid prototyping methods, and other best practices.
• Drives adoption of the Medtronic Design, Reliability, and Manufacturability (DRM) principles into the organization.
• Evaluates new information with existing information/ paradigms to create new and innovative ideas/ways of doing things.
• Builds functional bench strength and recruits, retains and develops top technical talent. Staffs and develops a flexible, high-performing workforce which may include contractors.
• Participates in strategic planning and actively owns technology development of electrical hardware
• Identifies, participates in negotiations, and manages external resources to aid in hardware development and automated test processes
• Researches available and pipeline technologies for feasibility of implementation into medical devices.
• Manages team to lead designs, analysis, and testing of low-powered battery operated embedded microcontroller based, wireless-enabled new and legacy medical devices.
• Monitors project risk and identifies ways to prevent risks. Anticipates obstacles and takes appropriate action to resolve issues to ensure success of project.
• Monitors real world performance of product line and investigates, resolves, and proactively eliminates issues that may present themselves
• Creates a sense of urgency in others.
• Applies understanding of Medtronic's business and strategy to think more broadly within own area.
• Actively pursues development opportunities for self and team.
• Appropriately involves others in decisions and plans that affect them.
• Clearly expresses ideas and concepts verbally and in writing.
• Prepares and delivers clear, well-organized presentations.
• Develops and mentors Electrical Engineering staff via daily activities, formal training, development plans and other tools to achieve development goals.
• Fosters strong working relationships with other functions within and outside R&D to align functional and project objectives.
• Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• 10+ years experience in design, analysis and test of electrical components
• 7+ years experience leading a technical team
• Experience with designing and developing electro - mechanical systems and working with the integration of various microcontrollers
• Experience with BLE and RF communication protocols
• M.S. in Electrical Engineering
• Experience in the medical device, consumer electronics, or mobile hand held device industries
• Experience performing tolerance analysis calculations and studies
• Experience using design tools such as SPICE and Matlab.
• Experience in design and manufacturing processes for complex multilayer circuits.
• Experience in Integrated Circuit design and Miniaturization
• Experience in low power medical devices
• Solution orientated, generates multiple innovative solutions and is able to determine pros and cons of the solutions objectively
• Leadership and interpersonal skills including ability to effectively develop and present business information with leaders and employees at all levels of the organization
• Strong organizational and analytical skills.
• Experience working collaboratively in project teams on high profile projects
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex ideas in easy to understand business terms
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and delivering end product efficiently and on time
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.