Duties The essential duties for this job include:
- Collects global positioning system (GPS) data.
- Collects, prepares, digitizes and codes spatial data into GIS format.
- Converts GPS data into GIS datasets.
- Creates and maintains cartographic products using ArcGIS.
- Creates, maintains and updates GIS databases using the ESRI suite of ArcGIS software.
- Develops and maintains links between attributes and other databases.
- Generates reports and produces graphic products for use by internal and external customers.
- Interprets source documents, such as engineering plans, plot maps and legal descriptions and enter required data into the GIS.
- Makes recommendations and provides products for review and comment by director or other staff.
- Provides support, coordination and advice in the development, implementation and maintenance of projects and programs.
- Provides technical assistance and support for GIS projects, applications and data.
- Researches, evaluates and reviews existing work processes to determine solutions using custom tools and applications.
- Serves as a lead worker or project leader.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
Competencies - The required competencies for this job include:
- GIS data collection
- GIS/GPS concepts and fundamentals
- Analyzing issues, facts and available information to develop logical solutions; researching inconsistencies of facts or data; drawing correct inferences from information and making recommendations that support business decisions
- Maintaining effective working relationships with others
- Preparing plans, maps and surveys
- Leading projects and project teams
- Composing correspondence and technical documents
- Applicable computer software applications and hardware including GIS and CAD
- Communicating technical information effectively
Education - This job requires the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems or related field
Work Experience - This job requires the following:
- 3 years in Using environmental Systems research Institute (ESRI) products in cartographic production, GIS or GPS analysis
- (Experience can be satisfied by fulltime or prorated parttime equivalent)
- No supervisory experience required.
- Relevant experience may be substituted for education on a year per year basis.
Texas Department of Transportation Profile:
Benefits As a TxDOT employee, you and your family have benefit options to choose from .
TxDOT is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, disability, military status or age.