DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Under licensed professional engineer, works autonomously on various projects, particularly those with high complexity and/or risk. May oversee entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish non-routine tasks.
• Utilizes computer software to create detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts, including plans for the construction of highways and\or local roads, including but not limited to plan and profile views, cross sections, details and schedules.
• Develops 3D models of projects using horizontal alignments, vertical profiles, typical sections and various design criteria.
• Examines and redlines production plans for correction prior to engineer design review.
• Calculates dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications and material quantities using calculator or computer.
• Maintains accurate design standards and procedures in assigned work.
• Assists engineers in the preparation of reports, specifications, plans, schedules and permitting for projects.
• Prepares visualization materials, including but not limited to renderings, maps, slides, images and aerials, for project interviews and public meetings.
• Provides technical support to other staff as trainer and mentor.
• Cooperates and coordinates with other engineers, designers and technicians on project activities.
• Participates in internal and external project meetings as needed.
• Participates in and ensures QC/QA procedures are followed.
• Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
• Complies with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Technical capacity
• Communication proficiency
• Problem solving/analysis
• A minimum of three years’ related experience in highway design and plan development utilizing CAD software. Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D or Microstation with Inroads and/or OpenRoads are required.
• Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
• English language skills: ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Mathematical skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
• Reasoning skills: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Organizational skills: ability to prioritize and organize tasks; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
• Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
• Ability to sit up to eight hours per day.
• Ability to manipulate computer mouse up to eight hours per day.
• Ability to see clearly 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more; ability to identify and distinguish colors; ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to lift and move up to 10 pounds occasionally.
• Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
• Moderate noise.
• Fixed schedule of 40 hours per week between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Occasional overtime required.
• Eligible to submit application for telecommuting and alternative schedule after 90 days.